my addiction.....to sugar

Guys, we have a problem. I'm addicted to sugar. Like I crave that wonderful sweet nectar of the gods almost everyday. I constantly want candy after every meal, when I'm bored, when I'm watching a movie, when I'm not watching a movie, even when I think about whether I want to watch or not. It's terrible!! And it's gotten worse! I blame my addiction on growing up and always having a dessert after your meal. That's how it always was. You ate your lunch, you got a cookie. You ate your whole dinner and you got a piece of cake. It's been carved into my brain that I must have something sweet to finish off whatever the hell I just ate.


I went to the dentist the other day for my 6 month cleaning and I had 3 cavities! That's 3 little sugar demons I have renting out my teeth and not paying rent. I haven't had 3 cavities since I was 3, probably, I don't really know, but it's been a long time. I was so angry with myself, because I brush my teeth twice a day and rinse with mouthwash! The only lie I ever tell them is that I floss everyday when in reality it's only after I eat popcorn. Now I have to get 3 fillings, all because I couldn't control myself with the damn candy bags.

This needs to stop. I haven't eaten any extra sugar for 4 days now and I feel like I'm going cold turkey off heroin, if I knew what that felt like. I went out and bought several packs of that Extra Dessert gum and it's been helping a little. I try to eat one every time I have a craving, so really a pack doesn't last that long. I'm trying to train my brain that it doesn't needs sweets after every meal. I read part of an article that says it takes at least 2 weeks for you to stop craving something. That's 2 weeks of dread for me. That's 2 weeks of looking like a caveman searching for food after every time I eat lunch! But I'm sticking to it. I will not let this addiction define me. My name is Kelly and I am recovering from a sugar addiction.

I wanted to share a few dessert recipes I've come across that have no refined sugar in them. I've been trying to switch to desserts that have less or no sugar in them and these next few recipes are to die for! So if your battling a sweet tooth like me, check these out.



My mom has been making banana bread for us since we were little. I love when the house fills up with the aroma and baking banana bread. I've made the recipe several times myself before so I know how much sugar goes 1 batch. I've cut out some sugar in the past to see if it would make a difference and I didn't taste any changes, so why not cut it out completely and throw blueberry in it? 



I haven't tried these yet, but I'm dying to. They look so fudgy and gooey and they have avocado in them, so you won't feel guilty after eating more than 1. 



These babies are not only sugar free, they are butter free and flour free. How the heck are these things made then you ask? With only 5 ingredients you would think these cookies are nasty and flavorless, but trust me, they are so good and so easy to make! Being a cookie girl like me, this is a nice alternative to the other cookies that my mother like to make with a few cups of sugar. 


<3

5 comments

Brittany said...

I am the same way! It is the worst

Domestic Mamma said...

Just found your blog tonight....love it already....I too am battling the love/hate/love relationship I have with sugar! If only it didn't taste so good!

Faerie Eye said...

I am addicted to sugar too!!! :( Even though I am not catholic, I am giving up, well going to TRY anyway, sugar for lent. Hopefully that will help me at least cut back!

Jasmine @ The Jasmine Maria said...

greek yogurt blueberry banana bread? sounds delicious.

his little lady said...

Oh goodness, all of this food looks absolutely scrumptious! And I love that you used a GIF from Romy And Michele's High School Reunion ;)
xo TJ

http://www.hislittlelady.com

© hello, it's kelly
Design:Maira Gall.