DIY Foot Warmers

Me: "My toes have been frozen for the past hour!"

Anne: "I got a bag of rice in my car!"

Me: "?????"


I was sitting at Chris' parents house when he was home for winter break and my feet just wouldn't unthaw. They were so cold and literally felt like they were going to fall off. Chris' sister, Anne yells out that she had a bag of rice in her car and we all looked at her like she was crazy. What good would a bag of rice do for my frozen toes?

Well she got the bag and proceed to throw it in the microwave. When she gave it to me, it was the warmest thing ever and I plopped it right on my toes. Instantly they felt 10x better and within minutes my toes were back to functioning mode. Thank you Anne :)

I told her I absolutely  needed one of these rice bags and she said they were so easy to make. So now, after a month, I'm finally making myself one. I like to procrastinate.

Things you will need:
Fabric, must be flannel! 
Sewing machine or just a needle and thread
lots of rice (not instant)

(I apologize for not picturing the sewing parts, hopefully this isn't confusing)

1. Cut two pieces of fabric into any size that you want your warmers to be. Take the two pieces and line them up so that the pattern size is inside. Sew three sides in a straight stitch, ending with one side fully open. 

2. Flip inside out and fill the pouch with rice until almost full. You don't want the bag to be stuffed completely with rice. 

3. Tricky Part! While keeping the rice in the pouch, sew up the last side and back stitching at the end to close it.  I got bored real quick with these and used some leftover fabric to stitch on some patches for a little decoration. I thought it came out very cute.  

4. Throw in the microwave for about three minutes (if the bag is bigger, longer time). Roll the bag around to get the rice moving and plop onto your feet when they just won't unthaw! 


Now my toesies are happy :)

2 comments

Kylee Noelle {the blog} said...

I so want to make one of these! How cool!

Lauren // Pink on the Cheek said...

can you make me one of these?? I am always frozen! I pinned this on pinterest to share with the world!!

© hello, it's kelly
Design:Maira Gall.