My 'above the bed' area has been in need of a makeover. I've had my wall mirror hanging above in lack of anything better for quite some time and I really just got sick or it. I was contemplating putting it above my bed on the ceiling, but quickly realized how
whore house inappropriate that would be.
I saw this awesome art piece via Pinterest and wanted to try it out for myself. I had two smaller canvas just waiting to be used, so it was perfect timing. It took me about a single evening to finish the two, that's including eating dinner and pie in between.
Here's a quick how to on how I achieved this awesome canvas art.
1. Start by painting your canvas like a mad man. Do whatever the hell you like. I wanted my colors to be a bit darker so I didn't use a lot of water. Use water with the acrylic paint to make more of a wash over the canvas. Splatter it, drip it, finger paint it, make it your own!
2. Acrylic dries super fast, so there's no need to wait around for it to dry. Begin by adding your stripes of painters tape in the desired pattern. It took me a second to catch onto the pattern, it may be just me, but I suck at those kinds of things. Once you get a row or two, it gets a lot easier.
I also found that if you do the inside portions first then the outside, your more than likely to get a more consistent pattern. On my first attempt, the stripes started to get longer and longer towards the bottom. Crafts can never be perfect with me.
3. Once your canvas is covered in tape and all the tape edges are securely down, start painting over EVERYTHING with a white paint. I did one coat with a roller and it looked pretty good. I liked it, done.
4. Let the paint semi-dry then with a toothpick or very pointy fingernails, begin peeling the tape off. Grab one edge and rip off quickly to get a crisp line. I had some spot where the white leaked through, but I feel it added to the overall look. I did touch up on some spots with a small paint brush where my finger grazed the paint.
5. Hang and pat yourself on the back for not hanging your mirror over your bed like a porn star.
Hope you guys liked this tutorial and let me know what you think! The original is definitely 1000x better and I wish my canvases were a bit larger, but I enjoy seeing mine when I walk into my room. I might re-do them in the future on larger canvases, as of right now, I'm too lazy.
Good work Kelly, you done did good.